Yiddish Authority Prizes 2017
Every year, the National Authority for Yiddish Culture awards prizes to prominent figures in the fields of arts and literature who contribute significantly to Yiddish language and culture in Israel.
In 2017, the Authority's Public Council chose to bestow lifetime achievement awards upon actress and Israel Prize Laureate Lia Koenig and scholar and author Professor Yechiel Scheintuch.
Prof. Yechiel Scheintuch
The award ceremony will take place on November 27, 2017 at the Einav Cultural Center, located at Ibn Gvirol St. 71, Tel Aviv, on the roof of the Gan Ha'ir compound, at 6:30 p.m.
Ya'akov Glatstein, American-Yiddish poet: "Talk to me in Yiddish, my Jewish land, and I'll certainly address you in Hebrew..."
רעד צו מיר ייִדיש, מײַן ייִדיש לאַנד.
און איך וועל צו דיר רעדן עבֿרית ממילא.
אַבֿרהם מיט שׂרהן קומען מיר אַנטקעגן
פֿון דער מערת־המכפּלה...
Students of Ben-Zvi High School in Kiryat Ono performing Yiddish songs
The National Authority for Yiddish Culture was established following the Knesset's resolution authorizing it in 1996.
The Authority's mission includes:
* Deepening acquaintance with and increasing exposure of the Israeli public to Yiddish culture in all of its forms;
* Fostering research of Yiddish culture;
* Promoting the instruction of Yiddish language and literature;
* Encouraging the creation of contemporary works in Yiddish, including literature, poetry, theater, etc.
* Compiling, documenting and cataloguing oral folklore and written culture in Yiddish;
* Publishing selected works both in their original Yiddish versions and in Hebrew translation;
* Organizing events for people of all ages, transmitting Yiddish heritage from generation to generation.
The Authority's activities are focused mainly in the State of Israel, but it also promotes collaboration with Yiddish cultural institutions around the world.